PackersNews.net Forum
The way a Packers forum SHOULD be.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Dorsey on Packers draft philosophy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PackersNews.net Forum Forum Index -> Packers Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
British

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: John Dorsey on Packers draft philosophy Reply with quote

Check out this interview with scout director John Dorsey. It's the latest piece by new Packer.com reporter Vic Ketchman.

http://www.packers.com/news-an.....67565ec697

A nice insight into the Packers draft philosophy and Dorsey's view on the strengths and weaknesses of this years draft.
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great article. Thanks for posting it.

I'm gonna drag it over to packersplanet too.
JustJeff
Commissioner
Commissioner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What kind of draft class is this?

“Average,” he said. “The strength of the draft is probably running back, defensive ends, offensive tackles, the top side of the (wide receiver) position. I think (cornerback) is good; I don’t think it’s great. I think safeties are down. I think tight ends are really down.

“The big unknown is the quarterback position. There’s no clear cut (number) one, yet. There are four, five guys who have a chance to establish themselves if they do that right,” Dorsey added.

It appear by this quote that he is giving his take straight off of the top of his head, but I still find it interesting that the only ares he doesn't mention are interior O-linemen, interior D-linemen and linebackers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustJeff wrote:
Quote:
What kind of draft class is this?

“Average,” he said. “The strength of the draft is probably running back, defensive ends, offensive tackles, the top side of the (wide receiver) position. I think (cornerback) is good; I don’t think it’s great. I think safeties are down. I think tight ends are really down.

“The big unknown is the quarterback position. There’s no clear cut (number) one, yet. There are four, five guys who have a chance to establish themselves if they do that right,” Dorsey added.

It appear by this quote that he is giving his take straight off of the top of his head, but I still find it interesting that the only ares he doesn't mention are interior O-linemen, interior D-linemen and linebackers.

Meaning you see a 'sucker punch'? I suppose it's just standard operating procedure to lie and lie again just before the draft.

Has anyone cataloged the misdirection ploys of drafters before the draft?

What the hell's going on out here?! -Vince Lombardi
Jim T

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is so much misinformation being given to the media etc. from scouts and GM's that other scouts and GM's don't even consider what each other has said.

For example Ted and his dept. have scouted other teams and know alot about their players. Ted knows who is on every roster in the league. When Chicago comes out and says we are happy with our offensive line and that isn't a priority in the draft, Ted looks at their roster, sees nothing but crap and knows Chicago will need to draft some.

I'd be willing to be most GM's and scouting depts. can tell you with a high degree of accuracy what every team in the league needs.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see more value in us as fans knowing this than anything:
Quote:
In recent years, a lot of GM types have weighted the interviews more heavily. Emphasis on character has never been greater.

“Every team is going to approach those 15 minutes a little differently. I think you can get a basic feel for who he is, but I think these guys are so prepped and so trained today that there’s too big of a wall in that setting. If you can create it like a locker room, because that’s where they’re going to have to exist, I think you can find the five factors it’s going to take to succeed,” Dorsey said of the intangibles he seeks in a prospect.

What are those five factors?

“One, are they a good guy? Two, do they work at their craft? Three, do they love football? Four, are they going to be good in the locker room? And five, would you like to have them as your neighbor?” Dorsey answered.

At the same time I think we knew most of it already.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Dorsey giving much misinformation here. What he says matches up pretty well with what nearly everyone is saying about this year's draft.

It's a bad year for TEs and Safeties. There are lots of question marks about the QBs. Everyone has also been saying its a good DL class and there are a number of OTs getting good reviews.

The only thing that is different to what I've heard, read and seen myself is him saying the RB class is good.

But the media and fans usually only talk about the first round. Dorsey will be able to provide a good take on the entire draft top to bottom.
JustJeff
Commissioner
Commissioner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
I don't see Dorsey giving much misinformation here. What he says matches up pretty well with what nearly everyone is saying about this year's draft.

It's a bad year for TEs and Safeties. There are lots of question marks about the QBs. Everyone has also been saying its a good DL class and there are a number of OTs getting good reviews.

The only thing that is different to what I've heard, read and seen myself is him saying the RB class is good.

But the media and fans usually only talk about the first round. Dorsey will be able to provide a good take on the entire draft top to bottom.

I agree British. I wasn't pointing to any misdirection by Dorsey. I took note of him not mentioning the interior lines and linebackers because I would like to know his take.
Super Homer
Super Homer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine goes to Dorsey's barber. The barber said that Dorsey has an interesting way of judging character with the players that they are looking at. When all the other scouts are questioning them in a formal setting and getting formal answers, Dorsey will watch for when the player goes to the restroom, follow him in there and talk to the guy while he is taking a leak or washing his hands. Just makes small talk to see if the athlete will talk to him or blow him off and then judges from there.

Kinda freaky in a way but extremely clever. Get the player out of their element and in a different setting and see how they really are. I guess that is why we have so many "Packer People" on our roster.

And on a side note, the bathrooms at 1265 must be extremely nice to go into, great conversation I bet! Laughing

Wisconsin Cheese is better than California Cheese.
Jim T

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing wrong with the article is how the author says we are able to stock the roster with talent even though we select at the bottom of the draft.

Thompson has had 6 drafts in Green Bay. Two of these drafts we drafted in the top 10. 2006 we drafted 5th, 2009 we drafted 9th. 2006 we got Hawk, Colledge and Jennings. 2009 we got B.J., CM3, Jones, Wynn and a few others. Hawk, Jennings, B.J. and CM3 have all been instrumental to the success of this team.

Part of the reason why Ted's approach has worked is pretty simple. The Packers were willing to take the time and effort and had the patience to develop their own players. We have played a lot of guys as rookies and tolerated their mistakes. The coaches made it a point of emphasis to work hard to correct the rookies mistakes.

Now we have a solid roster that we can afford to draft what Ted considers the best player on his board and we'll have time to develop these guys for the future.
jb
Prolific Packastitian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfntk wrote:
A friend of mine goes to Dorsey's barber. The barber said that Dorsey has an interesting way of judging character with the players that they are looking at. When all the other scouts are questioning them in a formal setting and getting formal answers, Dorsey will watch for when the player goes to the restroom, follow him in there and talk to the guy while he is taking a leak or washing his hands. Just makes small talk to see if the athlete will talk to him or blow him off and then judges from there.

Kinda freaky in a way but extremely clever. Get the player out of their element and in a different setting and see how they really are. I guess that is why we have so many "Packer People" on our roster.

And on a side note, the bathrooms at 1265 must be extremely nice to go into, great conversation I bet! Laughing

I had heard about that strategy, too. I bet they get a good sense of the player when the player doesn't know whether he's talking to a high level scout for some team or just a guy who works at some low level job at the facility.
GeMatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfntk wrote:

That term "Packer People" is more than a bit of BS. It's like the Packers only employ the world's best citizens. We've hired Eugene Robinson, will take Johnny Jolly back, and somehow claim James Lofton is one of our greatest. Let's cut the crap. The Pack like any other team will take whoever helps the team win.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeMatt wrote:
packfntk wrote:

That term "Packer People" is more than a bit of BS. It's like the Packers only employ the world's best citizens. We've hired Eugene Robinson, will take Johnny Jolly back, and somehow claim James Lofton is one of our greatest. Let's cut the crap. The Pack like any other team will take whoever helps the team win.

Not necessarily according to Mr. Dorsey:
Quote:
What are those five factors?

“One, are they a good guy? Two, do they work at their craft? Three, do they love football? Four, are they going to be good in the locker room? And five, would you like to have them as your neighbor?” Dorsey answered.

Super Homer
Super Homer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeMatt wrote:
packfntk wrote:

Guess someone pissed in coaches cheerios again.

Dude, we generally have a great reputation for not bringing in clowns. Yes you find a few duds here or there but we are a credible organization that plays with class. Settle.

Wisconsin Cheese is better than California Cheese.
JKB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: John Dorsey on Packers draft philosophy Reply with quote

British wrote:
Check out this interview with scout director John Dorsey. It's the latest piece by new Packer.com reporter Vic Ketchman.

http://www.packers.com/news-an.....67565ec697

A nice insight into the Packers draft philosophy and Dorsey's view on the strengths and weaknesses of this years draft.

As long as the number 1 thru 4 top picks become pro bowl players I will accept it... Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PackersNews.net Forum Forum Index -> Packers Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: